9:30 AM to 10:00 AM
10:00 AM to 11:15 AM
Keynote Presentation and Panel by KPMG
BACK IN THE SPOTLIGHT
This keynote presentation of the FICCI-KPMG Indian Media & Entertainment Industry Report gives a comprehensive overview of the state of the media and entertainment Industry in India. As represented by the title, Back in the Spotlight, reveals that the Indian media and entertainment industry weathered the economic downturn and came out stronger with a renewed focus on managing costs, innovation and creativity. Panel discussion to follow.
Organized and moderated by Dharmesh Pandya and Arun Kumar, KPMG.
- Michael DiPaula-Coyle (Policy Director of US-India Business Council; Areas of focus: Digital Economy/IT and Media & Entertainment)
- Uday Kumar (North America Business Head for Reliance/BIG Cinemas)
- Ketan Mehta (Film Producer and Director of Mirch Masala, Maya Memsaab, Oh Darling! Yeh Hai India, and Mangal Pandey: The Rising; Promoter of Maya Movies Pvt. Ltd.; Maya Entertainment Ltd., India's leading Computer Animation and Digital Visual Effects studio recently produced Ramayana: The Epic, India's first 3D animated movie)
- Sanjay Prasad (Vice President of International M&A at Time Warner Global, leads acquisitions in India of TV/Film entities including Time-Warner's acquisition of Indian channel Imagine)
11:30 AM to 12:45 PM
YOUNG GUNS SPEAK OUT: Up and Coming Directors and Producers of Global Cinema
From indie films to Bollywood, from Hollywood to "cross-border" films, young South Asian directors and producers around the world are leading the charge, bringing unique creativity, insight, and connections to bring their films to life. Hear from the young guns that are shaking it up - from Mumbai to New York - on getting their films made, the "new face" of Bollywood and Hollywood (and if there is one), filmmaking for an increasingly global market, how they got their voices heard, and their unique perspective on the future for films.
12:45 PM to 1:15 PM
- Moderator - Anadil Hossain (Film Producer and Founder of Dillywood, Inc.; she has also worked on The Namesake, Aids JAAGO, Darjeeling Limited, The Rebound and Fair Game)
- Sanjay Puransingh Chauhan (Director of Lahore)
- Krishna DK (Director, Producer, and Writer of Flavors and Noise/Shor with Raj Nidimoru)
- Ajay Naidu (Actor - Ashes, Today's Special, Righteous Kill, The Wrestler, The Honeymooners, Requiem for a Dream, and Office Space, also Director of Ashes)
- Raj Nidimoru (Director, Producer, and Writer of Flavors and Noise/Shor with Krishna DK)
1:20 PM to 2:00 PM
A CONTEMPORARY LOOK AT INDIAN CINEMA
Speech/commentary by Ekta Kapoor (Creative and Joint Managing Director of Balaji Telefilms, TV and Film Producer; her TV ventures and productions include Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, Kasautii Zindagii Kay, Kaahin Kissii Roz, Kahiin To Hoga, and Kkavyanjali; her Bollywood productions include Kyo Kii...Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta, Kucch To Hai, Krishna Cottage, Koi Aap Sa, Kyaa Kool Hai Hum, Shootout at Lokhandwala, Mission Istanbul, and Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai)
2:00 PM to 3:15 PM
INTER-CONTINENTAL CROSS CULTURAL PRODUCTION
As more and more producers cross continents to make movies, new cross-cultural partnerships are being formed. What are the challenges of making a film on two or more continents? What are the issues related to producing cross-continentally around budget, talent, crew, locations and the creative process? A panel of experienced bi-continental producers will discuss the challenges of inter-continental cross-cultural production, and the audience for these works. Organized by Savanna Washington and Terry Lawler, NYWIFT.
- Moderator - Caroline Baron (Producer of Capote and Monsoon Wedding)
- Tanuj Garg (Balaji Motion Pictures CEO, previous Studio 18 Head of International Operations, and has also worked for Applause Entertainment and UTV Motion Pictures)
- Anadil Hossain (Film Producer and Founder of Dillywood, Inc.; she has also worked on The Namesake, Aids JAAGO, Darjeeling Limited, The Rebound and Fair Game)
- Sri Rao (Writer, Director, Producer and Founder of Sri & Company, Inc. which produces major Bollywood films in the US such as New York for Yash Raj Films)
3:15 PM to 3:30 PM
3:30 PM to 4:45 PM
THE ART AND BUSINESS OF MUSIC
This panel addresses the evolution of music in Bollywood with a particular focus on the creative changes that have occurred over the last few decades. It will trace some of the reasons for changes in lyrical content and compositional styles that we have been witness to in Bombay cinema since the 1950s, and the ways in which artistes/composers have innovated and adapted themselves to create music that crosses cultural boundaries. Issues relating to emerging ownership and distribution patterns in the industry, the honing of business models to promote music, and the impact of digital technology on production and distribution will also be addressed. Organized by Satish Kolluri.
4:45 PM to 5:15 PM
- Anjula Acharia Bath (Chairman, CEO and Founder of Desi Hits Inc.)
- Wayne Sharpe (Composer of musical score for Lahore and Rajneeti)
- Paramdeep Singh (Co-Founder and Principal of 212 Media and Saavn)
- Vishva Vijay (Executive and Co-Producer of Lahore)
Director and Writer Aparna Sen (Director of The Japanese Wife, 15 Park Avenue, Mr. and Mrs. Iyer, House of Memories, Sati, and 36 Chowringhee Lane)