Bachelor of Arts, (Honours in English), Indraprastha College, University of Delhi, 1981.
Master of Arts, The Annenberg School for Communications, University of Pennsylvania, 1983.
Master of Fine Arts, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 1985.
2007 HomeSpun, forthcoming, New York, NY: Other Press. Also published by Penguin India, 2005.
1999 Barhgad (The Banyan), fiction screenplay. Awarded the Government of France's Fonds-Sud prize for a filmmaker from the developing world.
Direction, Production and Editing
1996. When Mother Comes Home for Christmas... 16mm documentary, 109 min ZDF, the Greek Film Centre and FilmSixteen. With a grant from the Hubert Bals Fund.
- Best Documentary, Festival dei Popoli, Florence, 1996
- Best Documentary, Festival Internazionale Cinema Delle Donne, Torino, 1997
Festival screenings include the Museum of Modern Art, New York, Rotterdam Film Festival, Yamagata, London Film Festival, Thessaloniki, Creteil, Toronto, Hawaii, San Francisco, Barcelona, Hong Kong, the Asian American Film Festival, LA Asian Pacific Film Fest.
1992. Diamonds in a Vegetable Market, 16mm documentary, 68 min.
ZDF and FilmSixteen. With additional support from the EU and BBC.
- Best Feature Length Documentary (TV), Asian Film Academy, 1994.
Festival screenings include Berlin, Cinema du Reel, Paris, Augsburg, Brussels, Florence, Taipei, Hawaii, Sydney, Rotterdam and New York.
1990. Eyes of Stone, 16mm documentary, 94 min. Doordarshan and FilmSixteen.
-Prix Alcan du Jury, Best Documentary Film at the Montreal International Festival of Films and Videos by Women, 1990.
-Mention Speciale, Prix des Bibliotheques at Cinema du Reel, Paris, 1990.
-Uppsala Filmkaja, Best Documentary Film at the Uppsala International
Film Festival, Sweden, 1991.
-Golden Conch, Bombay International Documentary Film Festival, 1992.
-Rajat Kamal, President's Award, Best Film on Social Issues, India, 1992.
-Basil Wright Prize, Royal Anthropological Institute, Manchester, 1992.
Eyes of Stone has been screened in over 30 film festivals worldwide.
Other Film Experience
Assistant Director, Salaam Bombay, directed by Mira Nair, 1988
Script Supervisor, Mississippi Masala, directed by Mira Nair, 1991
Editor, Kamala and Raji, Michael Camerini, 1989
Editor, Stephanie, Peggy Stern, 1987
Assistant Editor, India Cabaret, Mira Nair, 1985
Assistant Editor, The Wrong Man, Julian Krainin, 1986
-2002 Regents' Lecturer at the University of California, San Diego.
- Semester-long theory and production Documentary Workshop at the Annenberg School for Communication, Univ of Pennsylvania, Fall 1997
- Weeklong Editing Workshop at the California Institute for the Arts, Spring 1997.
- Miscellaneous lectures and presentations at: Annenberg School of Communications, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Mt Holyoke, Northampton College, Amherst College, California Institute for the Arts, Stanford University, University of California Santa Cruz, San Francisco Institute for the Arts, New York University, Rutgers University, Brown University, Cornell University, Smith College and miscellaneous colleges of the University of Delhi and Jamia Milia.