From the time I held my first crayon there was never any doubt in my mind that I would paint. High school included a silver medal in
an international juried art show in Seoul. My work, which was fairly figurative until that point,
changed after I got a scholarship to the Accademia di Belle Arte in Rome.
I found the perspectives used by 14th century painters fascinating - an epiphany for me!
Since then my work has explored different angles,
as well as plains of perspective and false perspectives... narrowing and expanding
space with colour and a mixture of rigid hard-edge plus rough painterly strokes.
It intrigues me to take architectural designs and abstract them.
It is gratifying to be shown and get commissions; but to me, the challenge
is in freeing myself further out of rectangular boundries,and challenging the viewer to do the same.
I am happiest working on large surfaces and have painted several murals
on the facades of buildings and interior walls both in Europe and in the USA.
Show list 2010
- 2 april to 4 june Visual Arts Center, N.J Summit N.J.
- 5th may to 28th may Asain Heritage Art Exhibition NYC
- June 10th to july24th the Twelve gates Gallery, Phillidelphia PA
- Aug.3rd to aug 24th The Guild gallery, NYC
- 1964-66 Sir J.J. School of Applied Arts, Bombay, India.
- 1964-67 Sir J.J. School of Fine Arts, Bombay, India.
- 1964-67 Sir J.J. School of Arts and Crafts (Textile Design), Bombay India.
- 1967- 70 Accademia di Belle Arti, Rome, Italy.
- 1970 Laureata, Accademia di Belle Arti, Rome, Italy.
- Thesis: "Architecture in Italian Quattrocento Painting"
- 1971- 72 Research Affiliate. Center for Advanced Visual Studies.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology .Cambridge,
- 1971- 72 Research Affiliate. Center for Advanced Visual Studies, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 1968 8 Lee Terrace (private residence)London, England
Enamel on plaster; 4 meters by 3 meters
- 1970 Four murals, C.O.N.I Intemational Sports Center, Tirrenia, Italy
Acrylic on fresco; 4.60 meters by 1.80 meters
- 1971 Residence of Arch. DiTomassi, Rome, Italy
Fresco; 1 meter by 2 meters
- 1973 Hotel CasaMussolino, hotel foyer, Taranto, Italy
Acrylic and sand on plaster; 2 meters by 4 meters
- 1973 La Nuova Chiesa di Sacro Cuore Church, Taranto, Italy
Acrylic on plaster; 12 meters by 6 meters
- 1974 The Tennis Club Parioli, Rome, Italy
Acrylic on canvas; 2 meters by 2 meters
- 1976 Four murals on the facades of four apartment buildings, Tor Sapiense, Italy
Acrylic on concrete; 23.10 meters by 12.60 meters
- 1979 Two murals for Tennis Club, 'Tennis Roma'dining room, Rome, Italy
Acrylic on plaster, 1.80 meters by 1.30 meters and 1.45 meters by 1.80 meters
- 1982 Diptych for Lele & Co. Chicago, IL.
Acrylic on canvas
- 1994 IK Systems Rochester, NY .
Acrylic on canvas, 2 meters by 1.5 meters
- Mural techniques: Stained glass, porcelain enamel, fresco, acrylic on concrete,
acrylic on plaster, tempera and enamel on plaster.
One Woman Shows
Group Shows And Collectives
- 1968 Galleria II Calibro. Via Margutta, Rome, Italy.
- ]970 Studio AL2. Rome, Italy.
- 1972 Galleria La Pigna. Rome, Italy.
- 1972 The Cabot-Cahner Room, Symphony Hall. Boston, MA. (Sponsored by the
InsUrote of Contemporary Art, Boston).
- 1973 The Faculty Club, Massacbllsetts Institute of Technology,Cambridge, MA
- 1973 Galleria San Vidal. Venice, Italy.
- 1974 Tiknor Lounge, Harvard University. Cambridge, MA.
- 1976 The American Bar Association. Chicago, IL.
- 1977 The Leonardo da Vinci. Milano, Italy.
- 1978 Galleria Apulia. Rome, Italy.
- 1978 Gestalt Institute, Toronto, Canada.
- 1979 Galleria Sirio. Rome Italy.
Competitions And Invitationals
- 1969 "Telstar'l Contemporary Art Exhibit, Rome, Italy.
- 1970 "Grafica" Studio, AL2. Rome, Italy.
- 1970 "Situatzioni" Valencia, Spain.
- 1971 "Graficaltaliana'71" Inciba-Monte Avila-ProVenezuela, Ciudad, Bolivar,Venezuela.
- 1971 "Indirizzo per una collezione di grafica " Fiera mtemationale di Genova, Genova.
- 1972 Graphics Exhibit at the Modem Art Museum. Madrid, Spain.
- 1973 Annual Exhibit of the Boston Visual Artist's Union. The Cyclorama, Boston, MA.
- 1974 Annual Exhibit of the B.V.A.U. The Cyclorama, Boston, MA.
- 1974 W.E.B. Show. The Harvard Community Health Center. Boston, MA.
- 1980 George Fredricks Gallery. Rochester, NY .
- 2003 Erasing Borders, IAAC Diaspora Artists Exhibition, New York, NY.
- 2005 Exhibition of Indian-American Artists, Consulate of India, New York.
- 2007 Erasing Borders: Artists in the Indian Diaspora, Queens Museum of Art, New York.
- 2008 South Asian American Art Festival
Santa Monica Art Studios, Santa Monica, Ca
- 2008 Tabla Rasa Gallery, 224 48th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11220
- 2008 The Guild Gallery, Manhattan, NY
45 West 21st Street, Suite #39, 2nd Floor, NYC 10010. (212) 229 2110
- 2008 Manhattanville College Art Gallery, Purchase, Westchester, NY
Studio Art Department, Manhattanville College, 2900 Purchase Street, Purchase, NY 10577.
- 2008 Hammond Museum, North Salem, NY
- 2008 Queens Museum of Art, Flushing Meadows, NY
Flushing Meadows, Corona Park, New York
- 2009 Dowd Gallery: February 27th – April 25th
- 2009 Crossing Art: April 29th – May 3rd
- 2009 Asian Contemporary Art Week: May 10th – May 18th
- 2009 The Elizabeth Foundation of the Arts: August 6th – August 27th
- 2009 The Queens Museum of Art: September 13th - October 11th
- 2009 The Gallery at Penn, Pennsylvania College of Technology : November 13th – December 13th
Work In Collections
- 1962 Silver Medal. UNESCO Art Exhibition. Seoul, Korea.
- 1969 The Rassegna N azionale d' Arte Contemporanea. San Marino, The Republic of San
- 1970 Gold Medal, Premio Nazionale di Pittura. Citta di Velletri, Italy.
- 1971 The XVI RassegnaNazionale d'Arte. Termoli, Italy.
- 1973 The 44th Annual Juried Jordan Marsh Art Exhibition. Boston, MA.
- 1973 The XVIII Rassegna Nazionale d'Arte. Tennoli, Italy.
- 1973 Juried Show of Boston Area Artists, The Hayden Gallery. Massachusetts Institute
of Technology. Cambridge, MA.
- 1974 Pembroke Arts Festival (Juried). Pembroke, MA.
- 1974 Juried Show ofCambridge Art Association. Cambridge, MA.
- 1974 The XIX Rassegna Naziona1e d'Arte. Tennoli, ltaly.
- 1977 'Nine Indian Artists'. John Hancock Building, Chicago, IL. (Sponsored by the Illinois
Council for the Arts).
- 1977 Grand Prix International d' Art Contemporaine de Monte Carlo. National Museum of Art,
Monte Carlo, Monaco.
- 1978 All India National Art Show. Lalit Kala Akademi, Ahmedabad, India.
- 1979 Invitation to the Biennale. Barcelona, Spain.
- 1979 Juried Show, "Qui Arte Contemporanea". Galleria Apulia, Rome, Italy.
- 1980 Juried Show. Galleria La Saletta, Frosinone, Italy.
- 1980 Juried Show. Galleria Apulia, Rome, Italy.
- 1980 Juried Show. George Fredricks Gallery, Rochester,NY .
- Graphic in the Art Museum. Ciudad Bolivar, Venezuela.
- Graphic in the Modern Art Museum. Madrid, Spain.
- Three Acrylics, SJ.C.E.A. Rome, Italy
- Painting in the National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi, India.
- Arch. S. Bravetti. Cesenatico, Italy.
- Arch. Di Tomassi. Rome, Italy.
- Arch. E. Montuori. Rome, Italy.
- Ing. L. CaJini. Rome, Italy.
- Mr. A. Merchant. Bombay, India.
- Prof. M. Eden. Bethesda" Maryland, U.S.A.
- Raja Jai Atul, Jaipur, India.
- Mr.lndur Shivdasani, New York, U.S.A.
- Ms. Shirin Hira, Toronto, Canada
- Dr. Pervez Ahmed, New York, U.S.A.
- Mr. Harish Gidwani, Seattle, Wa, U.S.A.
- Anand Mahindra, Mumbai, India