Erasing Borders: Passport to Contemporary Indian Art Feb-June 2008
Reeta Gidwani Karmarkar
Reeta Gidwani Karmarkar was born in India, received her Laureata at the Academia di Belle Arti in Rome, Italy, and has spent most of her adult life in Europe and North America. She is a painter as well as a muralist. Some of her murals can be seen in the UK (London), Italy (Rome, Tirrenia, Taranto, Tor Sapiense), USA (Rochester, Chicago). Reeta’s paintings have been part of numerous international solo & group shows, are housed in international collections both individual as well as in museums (Venezuela, Spain, Italy, India), and have won her several major awards including a Silver medal (UNESCO Art Exhibition, Soel, Korea) and a Gold medal (Premio Nazionale de Pittura, Citta de Velletri, Italy). She lives and works in Los Angeles, California.
- 1964-66 Sir J.J. School of Applied Arts, Bombay, India.
- 1964-67 Sir J.J. School of Fine Arts, Bombay, India.
- 1964-67 Sir J.J. School of Arts and Crafts (Textile Design), Bombay India.
- 1967- 70 Accademia di Belle Arti, Rome, Italy.
- 1970 Laureata, Accademia di Belle Arti, Rome, Italy.
- Thesis: "Architecture in Italian Quattrocento Painting"
- 1971- 72 Research Affiliate. Center for Advanced Visual Studies.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology .Cambridge,
- 1971- 72 Research Affiliate. Center for Advanced Visual Studies, Massachusetts Institute of Technology .Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 1968 8 Lee Terrace (private residence)London, England
Enamel on plaster; 4 meters by 3 meters
- 1970 Four murals, C.O.N.I Intemational Sports Center, Tirrenia, Italy
Acrylic on fresco; 4.60 meters by 1.80 meters
- 1971 Residence of Arch. DiTomassi, Rome, Italy
Fresco; 1 meter by 2 meters
- 1973 Hotel CasaMussolino, hotel foyer, Taranto, Italy
Acrylic and sand on plaster; 2 meters by 4 meters
- 1973 La Nuova Chiesa di Sacro Cuore Church, Taranto, Italy
Acrylic on plaster; 12 meters by 6 meters
- 1974 The Tennis Club Parioli, Rome, Italy
Acrylic on canvas; 2 meters by 2 meters
- 1976 Four murals on the facades of four apartment buildings, Tor Sapiense, Italy
Acrylic on concrete; 23.10 meters by 12.60 meters
- 1979 Two murals for Tennis Club, 'Tennis Roma'dining room, Rome, Italy
Acrylic on plaster, 1.80 meters by 1.30 meters and 1.45 meters by 1.80 meters
- 1982 Diptych for Lele & Co. Chicago, IL.
Acrylic on canvas
- 1994 IK Systems Rochester, NY .
Acrylic on canvas, 2 meters by 1.5 meters
- Mural techniques: Stained glass, porcelain enamel, fresco, acrylic on concrete,
acrylic on plaster, tempera and enamel on plaster.
ONE WOMAN SHOWS
GROUP SHOWS AND COLLECTIVES
- 1968 Galleria II Calibro. Via Margutta, Rome, Italy.
- ]970 Studio AL2. Rome, Italy.
- 1972 Galleria La Pigna. Rome, Italy.
- 1972 The Cabot-Cahner Room, Symphony Hall. Boston, MA. (Sponsored by the
InsUrote of Contemporary Art, Boston).
- 1973 The Faculty Club, Massacbllsetts Institute of Technology,Cambridge, MA
- 1973 Galleria San Vidal. Venice, Italy.
- 1974 Tiknor Lounge, Harvard University. Cambridge, MA.
- 1976 The American Bar Association. Chicago, IL.
- 1977 The Leonardo da Vinci. Milano, Italy.
- 1978 Galleria Apulia. Rome, Italy.
- 1978 Gestalt Institute, Toronto, Canada.
- 1979 Galleria Sirio. Rome Italy.
COMPETITIONS AND INVITATIONALS
- 1969 "Telstar'l Contemporary Art Exhibit, Rome, Italy.
- 1970 "Grafica" Studio, AL2. Rome, Italy.
- 1970 "Situatzioni" Valencia, Spain.
- 1971 "Graficaltaliana'71" Inciba-Monte Avila-ProVenezuela, Ciudad, Bolivar,Venezuela.
- 1971 "Indirizzo per una collezione di grafica " Fiera mtemationale di Genova, Genova.
- 1972 Graphics Exhibit at the Modem Art Museum. Madrid, Spain.
- 1973 Annual Exhibit of the Boston Visual Artist's Union. The Cyclorama, Boston, MA.
- 1974 Annual Exhibit of the B.V.A.U. The Cyclorama, Boston, MA.
- 1974 W.E.B. Show. The Harvard Community Health Center. Boston, MA.
- 1980 George Fredricks Gallery. Rochester, NY .
- 2003 Erasing Borders, IAAC Diaspora Artists Exhibition, New York, NY.
- 2005 Exhibition of Indian-American Artists, Consulate of India, New York.
- 2007 Erasing Borders: Artists in the Indian Diaspora, Queens Museum of Art, New York.
WORK IN COLLECTIONS
- 1962 Silver Medal. UNESCO Art Exhibition. Seoul, Korea.
- 1969 The Rassegna N azionale d' Arte Contemporanea. San Marino, The Republic of San
- 1970 Gold Medal, Premio Nazionale di Pittura. Citta di Velletri, Italy.
- 1971 The XVI RassegnaNazionale d'Arte. Termoli, Italy.
- 1973 The 44th Annual Juried Jordan Marsh Art Exhibition. Boston, MA.
- 1973 The XVIII Rassegna Nazionale d'Arte. Tennoli, Italy.
- 1973 Juried Show of Boston Area Artists, The Hayden Gallery. Massachusetts Institute
of Technology. Cambridge, MA.
- 1974 Pembroke Arts Festival (Juried). Pembroke, MA.
- 1974 Juried Show ofCambridge Art Association. Cambridge, MA.
- 1974 The XIX Rassegna Naziona1e d'Arte. Tennoli, ltaly.
- 1977 'Nine Indian Artists'. John Hancock Building, Chicago, IL. (Sponsored by the Illinois
Council for the Arts).
- 1977 Grand Prix International d' Art Contemporaine de Monte Carlo. National Museum of Art,
Monte Carlo, Monaco.
- 1978 All India National Art Show. Lalit Kala Akademi, Ahmedabad, India.
- 1979 Invitation to the Biennale. Barcelona, Spain.
- 1979 Juried Show, "Qui Arte Contemporanea". Galleria Apulia, Rome, Italy.
- 1980 Juried Show. Galleria La Saletta, Frosinone, Italy.
- 1980 Juried Show. Galleria Apulia, Rome, Italy.
- 1980 Juried Show. George Fredricks Gallery, Rochester,NY .
- Graphic in the Art Museum. Ciudad Bolivar, Venezuela.
- Graphic in the Modern Art Museum. Madrid, Spain.
- Three Acrylics, SJ.C.E.A. Rome, Italy
- Painting in the National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi, India.
- Arch. S. Bravetti. Cesenatico, Italy.
- Arch. Di Tomassi. Rome, Italy.
- Arch. E. Montuori. Rome, Italy.
- Ing. L. CaJini. Rome, Italy.
- Mr. A. Merchant. Bombay, India.
- Prof. M. Eden. Bethesda" Maryland, U.S.A.
- Raja Jai Atul, Jaipur, India.
- Mr.lndur Shivdasani, New York, U.S.A.
- Ms. Shirin Hira, Toronto, Canada
- Dr. Pervez Ahmed, New York, U.S.A.
- Mr. Harish Gidwani, Seattle, Wa, U.S.A.
- Anand Mahindra, Mumbai, India