"I paint to explore the power of hands, the destruction of the ego, and the beauty of the mind, in order to reveal the light of a universal soul."
Artistic Style: Contemporary Artist with focus on the Global Subconsciousness, Surreal Imagination, Works on Paper, and Raw Expression. Works range in content from scientific, religious, sexual, political, and metaphysical.
Preface: To look at our time on earth as a fleeting moment of the cosmic expansion is to be bound by true humility. And yet, in this time, we take on an ever expanding search for something deeper to the human experience. We share time with our families and friends, flourish in relationships, strive in our professions, and perhaps even parent a child. Man's span of time is relative, but our impulses extend beyond to the purpose of our place in a larger sphere.
Art Goes Hand in Hand: They're used in building the pyramids of Egypt or bandaging the wounds of soldier. They're employed to demonstrate prayer and reverence to one's God, or to scroll over this webpage with a mouse. The use of hands in Art can be taken quite literally, or you can look beyond to their significance.
Blessing, shaking, approving, admonishing, terrorizing, forgiving, providing, sharing, discovering or cherishing love…the gestures of Hands symbolize acts, the performance of deeds, and are core to our experience. They are personal, profoundly unique, and inherently universal in our lives. They are apart of my art.
Art Thy Ego: The greatest destructive force comes not from calamities of nature, nor from the wrath of the cosmos, but from within. Scriptures in the East & West have described it in different ways, but the collective force is the same. This smothering of the human spirit, from examples personal and those of global infamy, stems from one inherent demon: the Human Ego. Pride of mind is great poverty. Let Art be a reminder of its destruction.
Mind the Art: I am a believer in the laws of cause & effect, and the Mind is no exception. For every action, there is a reactive effect. It is not a shocking concept, and the axiom has been around in the scientific psyche for a few hundred years. In fact, our collective minds have traced causes and effects from Darwinism to Confucianism, from nanotechnology to iPod blogs, and from political agendas to space empiricism. Thus, it is only natural in the 21st Century that we question what it means to know.
What do you think? Thoughts are caused by physical conditions, past experiences, and subconscious triggers. In the mind, thoughts are bonded by chemistry, carried along on electrical synapses, and altered by our bodily senses. So as we advance as a people, do we ever really experience the full capability of the human mind? And if so, what is its effect?
In a paradox, our minds must be both protectors and provocateurs of a reality. And yet, at the end of the day, there remains an innate challenge to our paradigms. I paint to unfold this realization towards a Universal Truth.
An Ambassador of Soul: I serve the viewer as the ambassador of the Soul. As such, I dutifully work to continually present artistry, prevent self-satisfaction, and represent manifestations of humanity's brilliance.
- School of Visual Arts, New York, NY, Fine Arts Coursework: 2005-2007
- Columbia University, New York, NY, Bachelors of Science: 2003
- Honors: Columbia University Senior Marshal Award (2003)
- "Helping Hands", Morristown Museum, Morrristown, NJ 2008
- "Election 2008", Art Gotham, New York, NY 2008
- "Global Fusion Art", Spark Art Center, NY, NY 2008
- "Erasing Borders 2008 Exhibition",
Queens Museum of Art, Queens, NY 2008
Hammond Museum, Salem, NY 2008
The Guild Gallery, NY, NY 2008
Tabla Rasa Gallery, Brooklyn, NY 2008
- Santa Monica Studios,Santa Monica,CA:"South Asian/American Arts Festival": 2008
- James Cohan Gallery, New York, NY: "Postcards from the Edge." : 2007
- Apex Art, New York, NY: "Most Curatorial Biennial": 2007
- ifood TV, New York, NY: "Beyond Borders Event" : 2007
- Columbia University, New York, NY: Solo Exhibit "The Experience of Hands": 2003
- Columbia University, New York, NY: Permanent Installation: "A Holi Trance" :2003
- Novelist: The Vital Breath 2005
Author of the novel The Vital Breath
- Coauthor: Yoga for College Students 2002
- "A Collection Born of Cultural Dislocation", New York Times 2008
- "Orientation Online Asian Events 2008
- "Review of South Asian/American Festival", Los Angelas Times 2008
- "Independence Beyond Borders," Indian Era.com 2007