I think of my work as fragments of introspection. My process is first and foremost a keen Self analysis, so inseparable from my internal life that I am freed from the need to live in any way other than artistically. Art and being have become interchangeable.
This rigor grounds the playful hypotheses that much of my work investigates. I am often taken by the little oddities and the pockets of weird that pop up in daily life: the delay between written text and thought, the slight mismatch of two identical things, the life between digital and analog.
I hope that in the play of self-analysis with frivolity, my work is a perceptive filter of lightheartedness to a sometimes heavy world.
CV- Shivina A. Harjani
Barnard College of Columbia University, New York, NY
Bachelor of Arts in Architecture - May 2013 (GPA: 3.8)
Continuing Education, International Centre of Photography, New York, NY
Digital Photography II; Colour Photography I; Chemigrams
King George V School, Hong Kong S.A.R., China
International Baccalaureate Diploma (44/45 points)
Dean’s List, Columbia University 2010
Grantham Scholarship Award Hong Kong 2009
Head Girl/Prefect, King George V School 2009
Grose Memorial Literature Prize 2008
Hong Kong Outstanding Earth Champion Award 2008
Intern, Future Industries + Artist Simon Birch, Hong Kong S.A.R., China
July - Aug 2011
- Designed for ‘The Parasite Film Project’, a traveling installation by Future Industries and Simon Birch.
- Assisted Simon Birch in studio.
- Produced graphic design work for Future Industries launch.
Staff Photographer, The Columbia Daily Spectator, New York, NY
Sep 2009 - Sep 2011
- Photograph for sports, news and feature articles for the newspaper with a circulation of over 60,000.
Set Design Team, Cahoot’s Macbeth, New York, NY
Feb - April 2011
- Collaboratively designed and built sets for theatre production Cahoot’s Macbeth at Barnard College
Intern, New York Photo Festival 2010, New York, NY
- Organised and set up exhibitions alongside various artists and photographers.
- Packed and handled artwork for couriering.
- Worked at ticketing booth, checked-in media representatives and worked on-site at exhibitions.
Intern, South China Morning Post Ltd., Hong Kong, S.A.R., China
- Wrote articles and reviews for the Young Post section of the newspaper.
A Close Look: Photographs of East and South East Asia, Weatherhead East Asian Institute, Columbia
Nov 2011 - Feb 2012
- Exhibition begins in Columbia University and will move to the Standard Auto Parts Building in Long Island, Queens in April.
Summer Photography Show, Postscrypt Coffee House, Columbia University
Architecture Department B+C| A Show, Columbia University